To embrace and advocate for the visual arts by providing an accessible platform for exhibition and to promote art as a powerful and creative tool for expression and visual communication.
We would like to acknowledge and appreciate the ongoing generosity of all sponsors and contributors as enablers to this aspiring country arts prize.
The total prize pool of $10,000, is distributed amongst the following award categories.
- 2 Dimensional Award $2000 - painting drawing, printmaking watercolour collage etc
- 3 Dimensional Award $2000 - sculpture, metal, glass, stone, wood, assemblage etc
- Robe Community Bank Creative Photography Award $2000 - digital & film photography
- Robe District Council Themed Prize $1500 - best 2D, 3D or photography that best depicts annual theme. (see registration form)
- Belinda Morgan Memorial Award $1000 - Resident Artist within Limestone Coast Region
- James Leake’s Local Photography Award $250 - Resident Photographer within Limestone Coast Region
- People's Choice Award $500 - voted by the public
- Youth People's Choice $300 - voted by the public
- Senior Student $300 - all categories as stated above
- Middle Student $100 - all categories as stated above
- Primary Student (selection of art materials) - all categories as stated above
“I’m interested in capturing what is essential in a place.”
Skye Hohnmann - "The Edge of Night" | winner people's choice award 2015
The Southern Ocean Art Prize acknowledges and embraces the Boandik people’s deep spiritual and strong cultural connection between art and country.
2017 marks the 10th Anniversary of the inception of the Southern Ocean Art Prize. Over its ten years, it has developed to be a not-for profit community oriented art prize driven by a small but passionate volunteer committee.